Monday, July 12, 2010

Beating the Heat Wave with Turtles and Insects

On Sunday DAG and I needed to do something outside that involved cooling off. The weather had been in the 90's for the past 5 days and although we enjoy being outside it can get very hot. On Saturday I had decided to come up with something that involved ice so I froze insects and grass in a bowl and turtles and lily pads (leaves) in another. I placed the insects and turtles upside down on top of the grass and leaves. 

     





I placed 12 insects and 9 turtles in the bowls and I told DAG that we had to find them. I wish I had made him a chart with numbers so he knew when he found them all. He can count to 15 and sometimes 20 and recognizes the numbers as well. He did not get wet because the table was tilted and I placed a piece of paper under each piece so they would not slide off. I did have 2 big buckets of warm water underneath the table for him to use and he used a plastic pitcher for maximum coverage. He really enjoyed it and I will do it again and maybe do dinosaurs and rocks or snakes and grass or fruit or  ............................................

DAG as a robot.
We also played with the peg board I had painted with chalkboard paint. He can do connect the dots and I thought that this would be a great idea to reinforce that concept as well as have a new chalkboard for outside. He does enjoy using chalk on his blue water table- race and train tracks especially. I purchased the pegboard to make a board for rubber bands and I think I like the idea of the board being black. 

No comments:

Post a Comment